Sunday, November 24, 2013

ESL Podcast


I found a very useful podcast for ESL class, that is ESL Podcast. I listen to ESL Podcast 885 Talking to a Bank Teller and I think it would be used in ESL class. This podcast is a great practice for students who go to bank and do business. The scene of this conversation is like what happen in students real life. And also it provides script for students who does not understand this conversation. This speaker in the podcast speak in a slow speed so that every student might follow up. More over, after the conversation, the host offers a detailed explanation to this conversation, which I believe it help students to learn English and understand English.


I can use this podcast in my future class when I am teaching listening or sometimes, speaking. For listening class, this could be a very useful material that students could work on. For example, I can play the conversation first, and ask students to remember the conversation. Second, I will put forward some questions according to this conversation, and ask student to comprehend them. For instance, in this conversation, it gives students many verbs which meaning are not the same as what we learn in class, like "cash", in this conversation, cash is used as a verb instead of a noun form. I can also ask students to download it and listen to the podcast after class. They can use it for a dictation material and listen it for three time. The most important thing is that the speed of this podcast is very slow, it's quite suitable for beginners or students whose level is not that high. Last but not the least, the explanation the host gives is very clear and students can learn alone, which means they can use it for after school material. I would recommend this podcast to my students in the future.

3 comments: