Monday, October 14, 2013

Games In Classroom

Gamification is the infusion of game design techniques, game mechanics, and/or game style into anything.
The usage of games in language learning classroom is that it enhance the interaction between teachers and students. The engagement of teacher and students in the game might create a harmonious atmosphere in class. Both teachers and students need to be involved in the game. For example, if teachers use the game as a task, students need to follow instructions. Say, we use walkthroughs in the task, students have to focus on what they need to do next and how to finish the task. By so doing, teachers and students are very interactive to each other because one work as a guide and the other work as followers. What's more, students might encounter new vocabulary or other new language features in during the game, and teacher could work on these new things after they finish the game or during the game.

I personally played the game Phantasy Games for 4 times without the help of Walkthrough, but I failed to completed the mission. It was difficult for me to finish the game even under the help of walkthrough because some steps need to be very careful and if you failed to follow, you have to start from previous step or steps. If I employ games into my classroom, I think my language learning objectives might be SWABT:
Recognize vocabularies for directions ( go back, to the top, go to the right, etc.);
Understand directions by listening to walkthrough;
Apply direction vocabulary in daily life.
The role of teacher in the classroom would be a controller because teacher have to give directions and control what the students need to do. Also I think teacher might be a bridge that help students to finish the task. During the game, students would actively involve in the game by following orders or instructions given by the teacher. There is a goal in completing the task is that students need to rescue the girl, so they have to do it step by step. So, I would use a walkthrough for the game, because I want to incorporate my learning objectives in the game, and more importantly, I found it is really hard to finish the task alone. Students need directions and at the same time, teacher can assess whether the students understand the direction or not. I would also use images from the game to guild my students. For example, the arrow the show directions, or the items they are going pick up. I might make a powerpoint and show to my students.
After walkthrough, I would check if my students finish the task successfully or not, that would be one way to assess whether my learning objectives achieve or not. Another way to assess my learning objectives would be do a follow-up activity which require students to show directions, like ask for direction role-play, or picture telling about directions.

1 comment:

  1. Your plan is good, but it sounds as if this particular games is quite frustrating. Maybe a different one would be more useful.

    ReplyDelete